Earth Observation Group for Biosphere Dynamics Study (GEO-Qubidy)
RESEARCH AREAS AND INTERESTS:
- Biosphere dynamics and processes.
- Agricultural and forest ecosystems, Water Resources and Climate Change.
- Statistical time series analysis, Big Data, and Artificial Intelligence.
Our interest is to develop models to evaluate and quantitatively and operatively monitor the Biosphere’s dynamics and processes, including ecosystems’ function and structure in forest and agricultural environments, water resources, and the effect of climate changes. With this purpose, we have combined several teachers’ know-how in a multidisciplinary approach that allows us to create synergies by integrating different capacities. A very novel line is the quantitative analysis of time series in the geographic domain that has allowed us to carry out the advanced mapping of the Earth’s surface changes. This way of working is part of the Big Data concept and Artificial Intelligence methodologies.
Specific Research topics are:
- Development of quantitative methodologies to analyze biosphere dynamics and phenological patterns with remote sensing information.
- Use of hyperspectral information for soil conservation.
- Monitoring and evaluation of forest fires and vegetation recovery dynamics after fires (based on remote sensing)
- Energy balance in rainfed farming systems
- Development of vegetation indices based on the spectral shape in the optical range
- Inventory of forests and vegetation using digital models derived from LIDAR and RPAS
- Statistical modeling of biosystem dynamics
- Acquisition of information and construction of time series to monitor the dynamics of the Earth’s Surface.